I hastily (which will always get me into trouble) created a file through EM12c. It was Saturday before I was headed out for a much needed shopping spree. I figured EM would allow efficiency but I failed to change the diskgroup location. The default diskgroup just happened to not exist in the standby’s DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT.
The DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT is one of those magical parameters changing online is forbidden. Oracle chose to create a file in it’s place under the $ORACLE_HOME/dbs directory named UNNAMED000036. Since this was an ASM database that wasn’t going to work, well the file never was created but an entry was made in the controlfile.
The first step was to drop the UNNAMED0000036 file. Since this was a physical standby the I had to use the drop option:
ALTER DATABASE DATAFILE ‘/u01/app/oracle/product/184.108.40.206/dbs/UNNAMED000036’ offline drop;
With the datafile gone I then created a pfile from the spfile:
CREATE PFILE FROM SPFILE;
Modified the DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT within the spfile. The apply process was stopped but I needed to shutdown the database and start it to mount using the new pfile:
STARTUP NOMOUNT PFILE=’/u01/app/oracle/product/220.127.116.11/dbs/initOracle.ora’;
ALTER DATABASE MOUNT;
Then start the apply process:
ALTER DATABASE RECOVER MANAGED STANDBY DATABASE DISCONNECT FROM SESSION;
We run with maximum performance, if needed you would restart the real time apply:
ALTER DATABASE RECOVER MANAGED STANDBY DATABASE USING CURRENT LOGFILE:
I monitored the apply process. Once the apply process caught up I then switched to using the spfile.
Now to revisit the alert thresholds within EM12c so we have heads up on the space issues before the weekend.